Tuesday, December 22, 2009

2009 - Year of the Bagel

Well that's the end of another year of squash on the PSA World Tour. Even though our season goes through to about March-ish, it's still the end of 2009, it's the festive season, and most players like to take a quick (or long) break to re-charge the batteries and get stuck into the new year.

During the year I couldn't help but notice how many bagels were being handed out. (11-0). Once a tournament had finished I would sometimes flick through the results and see what happened. Every few tournaments someone seemed to be on the end of an embarrassing 11-0!! I came close to copping one from Darwish in the Qatar Classic. He got to 10-o in about 3 minutes but I had it all under control really. At 10-0 down I broke a string during the rally, he hit the tin, then I went on a 4 point rampage! But seriously, I couldn't believe how many bagels I saw this year. I saw one result where the player who copped the bagel, then went on to win the match! What the hell's going on there??? I've handed out a few bagel's during practise over the years but I've also been on the end of one too - in a tournament - in the final. Names will not be shared...

So, although it's been a very positive year on the PSA World Tour (apart from missing out on the Olympics, which by the way, may have been different had Tiger Woods been exposed BEFORE the inclusion of golf), I still see 2009 as the 'Year of the Bagel'.

Have a good Christmas and New Year everyone.

Cheers,
Cam

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is really great. I'm a huge fan of your game you have that classic AIS game...I saw you play about 4 years ago and thought this is a great player a top ten player, you were in the 40's at the time. I thought you were a bit rough on the backhand side, but what a game. I love your site and the insights you provide. Are you going to be at the ToC in a couple of weeks? See my blog squashdashersbashers.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

sorry meant ASI, my bad.

Cameron said...

Dashers and Bashers thanks for the comments! You were right the first time - AIS. I won't be making it over for the TOC this year, hopefully next year. I'm playing in Sweden on Feb 4th though.

Nice blog by the way, very good.

All the best,

Cam

Anonymous said...

That's really too bad I was hoping to interview the Australian players, like yourself, out of AIS and profile your early developement and impact on your career. Please update your blog it's really interesting and if you can add some insights into what goes on on the court, very cool. Also, if you know of any PSA player who would like to come and train my son this summer in NY just outside the city and near courts free room and board in exchange for training and playing he's a great player...let me know

Anonymous said...

how much trash talk goes on? and what kinds of things are said